The Benefits of Licensed Assisted Living Compared with Licensed Personal Care Boarding Homes
In 2012, the Georgia Senate created an additional level of licensure for personal care homes known as “Assisted Living”. The intent of the law was to create a safe and secure environment where seniors could “age-in-place’ and be less likely to be forced to relocate to a skilled nursing home unnecessarily. Only properties licensed as Assisted Living are permitted to market themselves as such.
Assisted Living communities are allowed to provide a higher level of care to their residents and mandates additional requirements for additional safety and well-being of the residents including the following:
- Increased “life safety” standards such as fire sprinklers in all areas of the building.
- All resident aides administering medications are required to undergo a
state sponsoredcourse to become Certified Medication Aides. Anyone can pass medication in a personal care home and are not allowed to administer only assist.
- Increased training requirements for all staff.
In properties licensed as Personal Care
The additional health and safety requirements for licensed Assisted Living communities allow residents to remain in our communities as long as our team members can demonstrate that all residents can be evacuated to a safe area within 12 minutes. This is regardless of the resident’s ability to walk or propel themselves in a wheelchair. Once admitted, residents can remain in licensed Assisted Living communities even if they become bedridden.
How does choosing a licensed assisted living community benefit you and your loved one?
- It is unlikely our residents will ever require relocation to a nursing home;
- Our buildings meet much higher safety standards for fire emergencies;
- Our medications are administered by trained Certified Medication Aides overseen by a Licensed nurse; and
- Our staff
haveadditional and extensive training requirements for all staff.
We know how difficult it can be to relocate a parent or loved one from their home. We also know the peace of mind that comes from making the best choice for the health, safety